Many smokers have a hard time when they are trying to give up cigarettes even though they agree that smoking can cause serious health problems. Cigarette smoking contributes to conditions like lung cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke. If you are trying to overcome your addiction to nicotine, some of the common ways to quit smoking cigarettes are highlighted in the following paragraphs.
First, let’s take a look at some of the physical and psychological symptoms of quitting smoking.
Some of the general symptoms include craving for nicotine, headache, anxiety and nausea. However, you can experience other withdrawal symptoms such as:
- Tingling sensations in your legs and hands
- Excessive sweating
- Muscle cramps
- Chest infections like coughing, sore throat and cold
- Respiratory conditions
- Intestinal problems such as vomiting
- Severe headache
- Flu-like symptoms
- Increase appetite, resulting in weight problems
- Dry mouth, tongue and lips
- Dependency feelings
- Temper tantrums
- Mood swings
- Mental confusion
- Short term memory loss
- Lack of understanding and concentration
Ways to quit smoking cigarettes
- Get a journal to list the reasons why you want to quit smoking. After doing this, you need to carry this list around as an inspiration and visual reminder to avoid temptation.
- At this point, you need to think about the reasons why you are unable to fight your addiction. For example, you might be smoking to deal with stressful situations, so look for other ways to gain control such as walking.
- You should keep track of your progress, especially if you are going cold turkey. The first thing that you should record is the date when you are planning to completely give up smoking. After that, you can record the progress that you make daily and any other important details. Believe it or not, this is one of the ways to quit smoking cigarettes as you can monitor your progress and get to know exactly how much time you spend smoking each day.
- You can get medication or find something to substitute for your nicotine cravings. Some of the things that you can do to replace cigarette craving includes taking a walk; using a toothpick that is flavored; eat nuts; drink a cup of tea or coffee; chew a gum; brush your teeth; sleep; practice breathing exercises or even play with your dog.
Keep in mind there is not one way that is best when you are trying to quit smoking. However, you can be successful if you combine the above mentioned ways to quit smoking cigarettes. Since most individuals lapse several times when they are trying to give up cigarettes, it will be a good idea to get help from friends, family and co-workers as a good support system will be important at this time.