Have you decided to give up smoking forever? If you are looking towards a better future and good health, then the information below will be quite helpful. Some of the common methods to quit smoking are highlighted to help you make a difference in your life.
Before going further, you should know that you can successfully quit smoking and once you accomplish this task everything in your life will get better. You will not only feel great, become more energetic, sleep better and live healthier, but your relationships will significantly improve.
Here are five methods to quit smoking:
- Gradually reduce your daily use of cigarette. This method will help you to wean yourself gradually from smoking and overtime you will be able to give up your dependency.
- Cold Turkey. For this method to work, you would have to give you smoking right away and rely on willpower and personal strength to avoid relapse. If you have good reasons to kick the habit such as heart disease or pregnancy, then you will be able to maintain your commitment to quit.
- Medication. There are oral medications that will help you to deal with the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy. There are nicotine products such as lozenge, gum or patch that you can use to substitute for nicotine. These products will replace the high nicotine concentrations slowly with lower doses and overtime your cravings will stop.
- Alternative Therapy. Acupuncture and hypnosis have proven to be highly effective therapies that will help smokers to kick the habit.
In case you have tried all these methods to quit smoking without success, then you can consult a doctor to find about alternative solutions such as biofeedback, 12 Step Programs and visualization, fasting, cleansing, detoxification diets and supplements.
The following are common symptoms of quitting smoking.
First, you should know that you will experience side effects when your body tries to adapt to the changes. The good news is that the withdrawal symptoms will just last for a couple of weeks. You can expect:
- Frequent headaches
- Vomiting and nausea
- Difficulty to breathe
- Skin irritation
- Sudden cravings
- Uncontrollable appetite
To deal with the symptoms, you can start a diet plan and exercise regularly. Besides that, you can get a friend or family member who can encourage and help you during this difficult time. Ensure that you maintain a positive attitude because this will be a good complement for any of the methods that you are using to quit smoking.
Keep in mind that even though these methods to quit smoking will help you to achieve success, the ultimate choice will be yours. In short, you and you alone can decide whether or not it’s necessary for you to go the extra mile. Don’t forget that it will be much better to quit sooner than later!